Sunday, February 28, 2010

Sketching Out

This week, I have been sketching layouts for pages in my scrapbook. After jumping the gun and creating a few pages myself, I decided that I needed to try going in a different direction. From reading other student's blogs, I learned that a lot of people have not just started their project, but first made sketches or created in their mind ideas of what they are going to do. I figure this will be my best bet, because I will be able to decide what I want to do before it actually gets put on paper and is not fixable. I'm not a great artist by any means, but by doing some rough sketches I can really open my mind and be creative in how I want my scrapbook to look. Like mentioned before, that's why I really like doing this as my project. I don't like to do things by the book, hence why I am not using an instruction book or taking a class. As silly as that may seem, I want to learn for myself. I want to explore and create what feels right to me. I think that adds to the meaning of creating a piece of art, or craft.

I don't necessarily think this relates to one particular reading done in class, but it definitely goes with the bigger themes and ideas we have discussed in class. For instance, scrapbooking can be seen as a way of empowerment, a way of remembering the past, or also be part of the debate of art vs. craft. It is so interesting to think about my project in terms of al the topics we have discussed while studying for the midterm quiz. As I continue to study, I hope to make more connections to our readings and lectures that I can mention in the blog.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, The first page you made for the scrapbook looks good, but I think you'll find it easier to plan things a little bit. Whenever I'm making cards, I find it really helpful to think of a concept before I even go to the store. That way, I don't spend tons of time or money looking at things that won't fit in with my overall idea. Also, because there are so many pictures that you can access through things like Facebook, a general idea for your design should help you narrow them down too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete