Sunday, April 11, 2010

Relevance to Kingslover

This week, instead of talking about my scrapbook, I decided I would use my blog as an opportunity to relate our current reading to my final paper, which is about gender roles in cooking. In Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, Kingslover does not necessarily talk about gender roles, but a lot of the stuff I am reading can be seen as a way that has influenced cooking in the present, and soon to be in the future.

One thing I find particularly interesting, and something I hope we have the opportunity to discuss in class, is how in most of the chapters, Kingslover ends by having a recipe relevant to what is discussed in that coinciding chapter. For example, in chapter 6, "The Birds and The Bees," she ends with a recipe for Chicken Recuerdos de Tuscon, a chicken dish using free-range chicken and fresh vegetables. I love how she is able to take the topic of the chapter, starting a chicken business, and create a recipe out of it. I find that so exciting about cooking, because it shows you can make a recipe out of anything as long as you are creative about it.

Personally, I really like the book a lot. I find it fascinating to learn about organic and safe farming and gardening. It makes me want to start buying products that are organic and free-range, because they are the safer and healthier alternative. I hope I can find a way to tie this into my final paper, because I feel like there is a lot to be said about this book and its relevance to cooking.

1 comment:

  1. Lauren, I totally agree with you. I would love to try to make at least one of the recipes that she has listed. This book has totally changed the way I think about the food that I buy and just food in general. Since reading this book going grocery shopping has been a whole new experience. I question the things that I would just normally throw in my grocery cart. I hope that you can find a way to incorporate some of the things that we have learned from Kingslover's book into your paper.

    ReplyDelete